Sunday, October 30, 2011

A spongy tutorial!!!

So, Kristin at The Manicured Monkey wanted some tips on how to sponge! This one is real easy!!!

First I paint my nails a base color. Usually the lightest color I am using, or if all my colors are pretty sheer, I use white. For this mani I used Color Club Yum Gum and Flormar U15.

Ok, so start off with a regular cheap kitchen sponge. I got this one in a 10 pack at the dollar store. Cut about 1/2 inch off the side, then cut about 1/4-1/2 inch off of that so you have a little square/rectangle.

 Then take an old, cheap, crappy pair of tweezers that never worked right anyway and grab onto the sponge. Dab some polish onto your work area. Some people use the back of stamping plates. I have a dollar store placemat that you can see is well used and has polish all over it. Dab the sponge in the polish and dab off the excess. If only doing a double color design start with the outermost edge and work towards the middle. If doing 3 or more colors same principle just decide how you want it to be but work from lightest to darkest. If you use white as a base you just have to be a little careful about how you sponge it and keep the colors where you want them.
This goes with this stamped haunted house manicure I did last week. It shows how I slightly overlapped the colors and only sponged where I wanted that color.
(oddly enough, I don't know WHY I took this picture.)
 Pre-clean up
After clean up
aaaaaaaaand because I can't leave well enough alone...and Mandy declared 10/31 Mandy day:
So...easy enough, right? I hope it was. Let me know if you have any questions. :)

Any other requests?

3 comments: